Sunday, April 22, 2007

RC Trainer "Cutie"

My youngest daughter and I built this trainer together:


This kit is fully laser cut, and it was a joy to build. It even has laser cut lexan parts, including a little hook that holds the battery hatch down. I got the kit from SR Batteries



Mary picked the nice color scheme. The airplane was designed for a speed 400 brushed motor and gear box. The brushless installation is just so much cleaner. When I was in high school, I built a Lee Renaud designed Q-Tee. It has an internal-combustion .049 engine, and flew great. This one has so much more power, but weighs about the same.



The first flight was in a fair amount of wind, but this plane is not as light as most modern electrics, and frankly, for training in a bit of wind, it is perfect. It flew very nicely. My daughter handles it pretty well. Landings are easy.

Every year, my flying club, the the Torrey Pines Gulls, does a flight demo for Torrey Pines Elementary's Science Discovery Day. We demo to three groups of about 7 kids for 25 minutes each group. The last 10 minutes we line them all up and let them fly a few circles around the sky, under very close supervision. I usually loose a plane this way each year, so I bring cheap foam trainers. This year we had a lot of wind and the foamies were grounded. I decided to let them fly my daughter's plane (I know, stupid). Well, it went perfectly. It was easier for the kids to fly, and it has so much power, I could climb to altitude after each kid's turn really quickly. So, now I know the secret: you have more to loose with a good trainer, but much less chance of actually loosing it. Anyway, the Cutie has only four flights so far, but about 20 pilots!

No comments: